Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Perpetual Wantrepreneur: My Journey Toward Entrepreneurship

March 22, 2014

I labored for months to formulate an idea for a blog .  I figured I should write about something that I am passionate about, following the same principles that you would for entrepreneurship.  I had heard that you can make money blogging, but that is not my reason for beginning this journey (my blogging journey, that is; more on my wantrepreneurial journey later).  I've been listening for a few months now to entrepreneurial-related podcasts, reading e-books, magazines, watching movies, meditating, whatever might bring me one step closer to my dream of self-employment; ways to promote your business, your company, your ideas, how to create interest and build your brand.  Now I know that there are possibly millions of bloggers around the world who generate some kind of income blogging.  Some make a full time living out of it. Some make millions of dollars. As nice as that sounds, that is not my intention at this moment.  My reasons a bit more self centered:  I need to memorialize in writing how painstakingly difficult it has been for me to pursue a career outside of the corporate bubble.  In short, I have been paralyzed by fear (and SO many other things, mostly excuses) for nearly 30 years now, dreaming day after day, month after month, year after year about the idea of pursuing and owning my own business.  And as I was running on the treadmill on this first full day of spring (watching the snow fall all morning until 2 pm), I had a bit of an epiphany..ok, it was a full-fledged epiphany, divinely inspired by some kind of universal force.  I know it was divinely inspired, because it was the best original idea I have come up with in probably my entire life.  I decided to write about something that I am passionate about, where I am THE expert in the field (I challenge just about anyone to prove me wrong on this). I DECIDED TO WRITE ABOUT MY WANTREPRENURIAL JOURNEY.  I haven't checked to see if anybody else in this country (or on the planet) has blogged about the subject.  But I have a lot to share with anyone who is going through this very process (and I hope that a lot of you are, because if you working in the corporate world, you will be sooner than you think). That being said, my purpose is two-fold, maybe even three-fold; I am a reluctant expert on the subject, but it's time I shared this knowledge for my own therapeutic benefit as well as the benefit of those who are suffering along with me. I have lived, breathed, digested, and vomited so much material on this subject for so long.  I can help you get through this, and maybe you can help me as well.  I'm not really sure where to start, I don't have an outline, a timeline, or an agenda of any kind.  So just sit back, relax, and enjoy the journey.  Because it is about the journey, not the destination, right?

2 comments: