Sunday, June 29, 2014

Momentum

Momentum is a crucial part of growth in life, love, or business.  I believe this.  You can use sports analogies as proof; pick your sport.  I watched Costa Rica play Greece in the World Cup round of 16 today, with one less player for more than half the game, and they won. Greece attacked on several occasions, but Costa Rica played a great defensive match. They repeatedly repelled Greece's onslaught, right up until regular time ended.  And Greece had its opportunities.  Then came the penalty kicks, and they pulled it off, winning 5-3 on the penalties.  Same thing with the Netherlands today.  They were down 1-0, tied it up in the 88th minute, and won on a penalty kick just before the end of the match (this is the team I picked to win it all, by the way).  I wasn't sure that they would beat Mexico, the way they were playing.  But they swung the momentum in their direction.  The penalty kick was controversial, but instant replay showed that they were robbed of a penalty opportunity earlier in the match.  So turnabout is fair play, right?  And besides, I wanted them to win.  

As I said, momentum in sport is as important as it is in life.  It's tough to kickstart a pursuit over and over again as it lies dormant in the back of your mind.  I feel the same way in regard to this blog; the blogs flow much more easily if I continue to write on a regular basis.  I can write after a long layoff, but it is tougher.  Momentum makes it easier, like gravity rolling a ball downhill.  It's one of life's greatest sayings, "I'm on a roll."  It doesn't mean that your mayonnaise slathered on a ball of baked dough.  It means that you're rolling, creating, moving the needle in the intended direction.  And you need a spark, something to move the needle.  Sometimes it's referred to as the "a-ha" moment.  Whatever the case, you can't start a fire without a spark, to quote Mr. Bruce Springsteen.  We all need a spark. As you may know, if you read my first post, I am an incredibly slow starter...

http://theperpetualwantrapreneur.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-perpetual-wantrepreneur-my-journey.html

But you can create momentum in your life, to move yourself closer to your goals and your dreams.  My momentum has been slowly rolling for a couple of years now, some of the details of which being shared in earlier posts.  My latest momentum?   A beautiful baby six months ago tomorrow, and a marriage to my beautiful wife two days ago.  I have to build the momentum, to keep the spark alive.  I have to decide upon the legacy I will leave my children.  There is much that I have preached that I haven't done enough in practice.  And the biggest one? Take  a guess.  I've been preaching since my kids were old enough to speak that they should work for themselves, and don't depend on anyone else for a living.  They were old enough to understand this about 4 years before I was fired from my long time employer. I should have been exploring my entrepreneurial journey a long time ago.  But regardless, I continued to preach.  My son is 6 months old.  I want him to remember the fact that his father owned his own business, once he is old enough to recall such events.  That's the legacy I want to create.  And I believe it's time to set a deadline; August.  Before September 1st, I want to have an idea for a business and begin the necessary steps to start it.  I'm leaving for Hungary in 4 days, for a much needed vacation, rest, and inspiration.  I've been going there since I was 9 months old, and it is calling me again, as it always does.  It is home, and full of life.  My entire family lives there.  And I plan to spend a lot of time with them, and time in my summer cottage, near the Austrian Alps, overlooking the beautiful Hungarian countryside.  Man needs to experience nature, to be outdoors, to be fed the inspiration that nature provides.  There is more inspiration in the Universe's creation than anything the internet can provide.  See for yourself.  Find your favorite place outdoors.  Then go there.  Take a deep breath, and hold it.  Close your eyes.  Then open them again, and look around.  Feel your surroundings, and ask yourself; what is your spark?  Start the fire, and burn it completely.  Leave nothing but ashes.  Then you will succeed in your pursuits.  Pick your spot, and seek your inspiration.  You'll be very surprised to know that it's closer than you think. 


No comments:

Post a Comment