Monday, April 21, 2014

An Eternal Spring

Well, all's well that ends well with my friend who was seemingly on the chopping block.  For now.  He still has a job, but he's on a "warning" for conduct.  Apparently having an opinion is a violation of the company's conduct policy, especially since it didn't line up with the opinion of his manager....very curious.  In the meantime, he knows his days are likely numbered if he is to continue to operate in the manner that he is accustomed to.  Otherwise, it's time to return to the herd, another hopeless sheep in the corporate pasture...

I struggle with the struggles of others.  I want to help, and often find myself carrying their load, their cross, whatever you want to call it.  I carry it emotionally and physically.  My ego finds a way to make their problems my own.  And it often derails my own progress.  This isn't just for friends and colleagues in business, but in life.  And the last couple of weeks certainly sidetracked my own progress.  Corporate is coming to town, the VP along with the "Hatchet Man", a man with the reputation.  I've been told by many corporate colleagues with whom I have a good relationship that when this individual comes to town, somebody loses their job.  This is the boss of the other individual who wanted to send the entire facility back to work minutes after losing their jobs in America's Saddest City.  I told him to "go upstairs" as he walked the floor, parading people back to their stations.  This was a year ago.  I haven't seen him since, and neither has my boss.  And  with my boss under the gun for months, his possible replacement being hired to train within the region, the trickle-down effect of stress at the facility can be cut with a knife.  And with my own challenges escalating over the next few days at the office, there appears to be a direct relationship between the rising stress levels at work and the drop in progress in the pursuit of my own dreams.  It's a push-pull relationship; I can only devote energy to one, not both.  The choice seems logical, right?  

Well, it's easier said than done.  I spent my entire Sunday dreading going to work this week.  They will be in town for three days.  And on Easter Sunday, starting in the morning, it began...the emails.  Did you do this?  Make sure you read this.  Be familiar with that.  Will you attend dinner.  A random joke in between, as if to prove that there was no sense of panic.  It was too late.  Whatever hasn't been done up to this point won't be done.  We've all done the best we can, given the circumstances (see Don Miguel Ruiz' 4th agreement).  Some have done better than others.  I've done the best I can.  I can do more, of course.  We all can.  But whatever my progress to this point, that is where it stands.  I will explain this, and my challenges.  And I will remember, as I go through this week, that I don't want this anymore, to answer to people who wield WAY too much power and influence over people.  And late last night, laying in bed with the love of my life, it became clear.  As she suggested solutions to my problem, talking it through with me, I wondered what was missing.  Why all of this anxiety?  I have so much to be thankful for.  I have a potential interview this week, with a company located closer to my family.  I have a beautiful wife, and a delightfully happy new baby.  I have the best family a guy can ask for.  And there's a really good chance that I may meet with my wife's estranged parents this weekend, a wonderful first step.  So what do I do?  Meditate.  I meditated for twenty minutes this morning.  I had meditated every day for the ten days prior, and I felt great.  Then the last two days slipped away without meditation.  Meditation sets the reset button.  This may seem an abrupt end to a long story, and I'm sure it's familiar.  We all get caught up.  I'm not even going to go through the list; you know yours and I know mine.  How will you tackle your list today?  Start with what will help your journey, and dump the rest.  An enema for the soul.  Redirect your priorities.  You can't do it all.  So be choosy.  Pick the things that best benefit you and the ones you love.  It's Monday.  It's the day after Easter.  I'm not religious, but it's supposed to be a time of renewal.  It's springtime.  There, how's that?  No religious connection.  The flowers will be blooming.  The buds of the countless trees will begin to sprout.  Maybe they already have where you live.  Be the bud.  Sprout the new you, and what you want for your life.  Meditate (more on this later).  It's so simple and effective, you'll wonder why you've waited so long.  And make it the first eternal spring you've ever had.

3 comments:

  1. Great post today! Thanks for the tips on dealing with the corporate (as well as life) stresses. Meditate! Good mantra.Sorry your Easter Sunday was filled with angst going to work the next day. Ugh! But keep wantrepreneuring and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will dig deeper into meditation later, to share my experiences. I am an expert on many of the things we don't want expertise in; but my intention is to help us all achieve the life that we want. We'll get there, and please feel free to share your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although it has nothing to do with your "Eternal Spring" post, I can't help but send you the link to a sculpture called "The Eternal Spring" by Rodin. When I was in Paris in 2002, I never got to the Louvre, but made a point of not missing a much smaller museum for Auguste Rodin. I took one look at this sculpture and it took my breath away. After reading your later post on meditation and sex, I thought it apropos to send you the link with my favorite sculpture in the world. I think, no...I know...you will love it. I know I have a picture of it somewhere but that was before I had a digital camera.

    Hey, it's good to divert from your topic once in a while (except in meditation! Ha Ha!)

    http://cityoftheweek.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/picture-851.jpg

    ReplyDelete